Tuesday 1 April 2008

The most dangerous road in the world...

Travelling and writing blog updates turns out to be not that easy as thought... So, after some silence need to update you on our travel. Those reading Latvian have already had some facts from my brothers blog, but here is my version on the "death road" or the most dangerous road trip outside La Paz.

Firstly - I did it... Joined the group of 10 guys on mountainbikes to get down the something like 50 km with 8 km uphill. Have to say also, that I did half of it on the bike, the other with the bike on the minivans roof and me in the front seat enjoying the scenery. Yeah... first part of some 20 km or even more on the paved road was GREAT! You just sit on the bike, feel the cold, wind, and with me taking it little easy - I also managed to enjoy the scenery at 4600 M altitude. Great mountains! Snow tops and black cliffs, slowly changing to greener landscape as we were descending. Well, in short, I loved it. Even the uphill part was not that bad. Only in one part with gravel I had to get off the bike, otherwise it was easier to peddal than walk.

Then however the second part started... Gravel, downhill, with so little stability that after a while I decided enough, I dont want to join the group of 7 tourists that have died on that road falling off the 200m-300m steep mountain edges, and got in the minivan following the group. Had my adrenaline experience trying to control the bike for some 10 minutes on that road, and then sat back, enjoyned ever changing scenery and took pictures.

What was amasing - the change from the hardly green to luch clloud forests - nice mountain jungle that looks so inviting. Waterfals on the way, the driver being so kind that he stoppped at many nice places so that I can take pictures, while the guys were racing down...

To be true - some guys after experiencing uncontrolled skidding and 20 cm off the edge, changed their positions from the front to the back of the group. So, it was not that easy after all, but I guess if there was no pressure to go fast (guide have to say was not the best one to encourage steady downhill ride... instead wanted me to get in the car) then I would have joined the group on the bike. Heard that for 15 USD you can rent a bike and go down the hill on your own. That would suit me well.

But the main thing - I have done the "death road" in my own way and managed to enjoy it even. Thus can reccomend the ride to others. Pictures you will have to check out later, as I will upload those later on the web when internet is faster.

From La Paz and the bike ride Karlis and I headed to Potosi, the big silver mine city. That however you will have to wait a little to hear about. Meanwhile enjoy latest updates on the Boliva photos.

No comments: